Receiving a beautiful bouquet of fresh flowers from Julie's Fountain of Flowers in Lone Tree, Iowa can be a delightful experience. However, taking care of those flowers requires a bit of effort to ensure they last as long as possible. In this post, we'll provide you with actionable tips on how to care for fresh flowers after receiving them as a gift.
Follow these tips & tricks to keep your blooms long-lasting:
- Unwrap the flowers and remove any packaging materials, such as paper or plastic. This will allow the flowers to breathe and prevent mold or bacteria growth.
- Trim the stems at a 45-degree angle to help them absorb water better. Use sharp scissors or a knife to make a clean cut and avoid crushing the stems.
- Place the flowers in a clean vase filled with fresh, lukewarm water. Make sure the vase is large enough to accommodate the stems without crowding them.
- Add flower food or a homemade solution to the water to help the flowers last longer. Flower food can be purchased at most florists or garden centers, or you can make your own by mixing one tablespoon of sugar, one tablespoon of vinegar, and one-quarter teaspoon of bleach in a quart of water.
- Change the water every two days, re-cutting the stems each time. This will prevent bacteria growth and keep the water fresh.
- Keep the flowers away from direct sunlight, drafts, and heat sources. Exposure to heat or cold can shorten the life of the flowers, so it's best to keep them in a cool, dry place.
- Remove wilted or dead flowers and leaves as soon as possible to prevent bacteria growth. This will also help the bouquet look fresh and vibrant for longer.
Buying locally grown flowers has many benefits, including supporting local businesses and reducing your carbon footprint. When you buy flowers from local florists, such as my shop in the Iowa City area, you're supporting the local economy and helping to preserve jobs in your community.
We hope these tips have been helpful in caring for your fresh flowers from Julie's Fountain of Flowers. And if you're looking for your next floral purchase, be sure to visit us at Julie's Fountain of Flowers for beautiful and ethically-sourced fresh blooms!